Search Menu Toggle
Close Menu

Anyone planning for many types of plumbing work must notify us in advance to ensure that the work will not impact the quality and safety of the water.

Under the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999 it is the legal duty of the owner, occupier, installer or plumber to ensure the regulations are met and to notify us before any work begins. If the owner or occupier does not seek permission, then the duty rests with the installer or plumber. Failure to notify may result in legal action taken against you/your company.

These regulations do not apply where a property uses a private water supply and does not have a supply of water from a water company. However, it is good plumbing practice to follow the requirements of the Regulations.

The regulation applies from the point where the water enters the underground service pipe to the point where the water is used.

It applies to all properties supplied by mains water or a private supply using mains water as a backup from a water company. They do not apply where a property uses a private water supply and does not have a supply of water from a water company.

Notify us about your works

Arrow icon

To notify us is free simply complete our online form.

You will need to attach:

  • a drawing of the proposed work
  • a list of fittings that will be used
  • details of your plumbing contractor (if applicable)

We will contact you within 10 working days if we need to discuss your plans further. If you don’t hear from us in that time, you can assume it is all right to go ahead.

It is important your work complies with the regulations. If it does not, changes may need to be made at a later date.

Please note: You cannot start any works until you have permission, we would encourage you to apply in advance to allow us time to process your form.

Notify us about your works

Apply for an instalment of RPZ valve

What works should I notify you about?

Arrow icon

The following types of work are covered by the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999. You must tell us about your plans and the fittings you will be using, Work should not begin until permission is granted and you must comply with any conditions set out by us.

  • Building a house or other property/structure
  • Extending or altering the water system on a non-household building
  • Changing the use of a building
  • Installing water systems, such as grey water or rainwater harvesting
  • Installing a swimming pool or pond over 10,000 litres
  • A garden watering system (unless operated by hand)
  • A bath which holds more than 230 litres of water
  • A bidet with an upward spray or flexible hose
  • A pump or booster that uses more than 12 litres of water per minute
  • An ion-exchange water softener or reverse osmosis filter unit
  • A water treatment unit which produces waste water
  • A reduced pressure zone (RPZ) valve assembly or similar
  • Any water system outside a building that is either less than 750mm (0.75 metres) or more than 1350mm (1.35 metres) below ground or any underground cold water storage used for wholesome water
  • A fire fighting sprinkler system
  • A backup for a private supply using water from the public mains
  • Animal welfare installations, e.g. a trough
  • Any dosing units e.g. chlorine dioxide dosing

Who needs to notify you?

Arrow icon

Anyone who lives in or manages a home or business property and anyone who installs plumbing systems or water fittings, has a legal duty to meet the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations, The owner, occupier, installer or plumber carrying out the work all have a responsibility to gain permission from us. If the owner or occupier of the property do not notify us, then the plumber or installer must do so.

Approved plumbers are able to carry out some types of plumbing work without prior notification, such as Extending or altering the water system on a non-household building. If the plumber is an Approved WaterSafe contractor or an approved WIAPS ground worker then they should issue a certificate to owner or occupier and the local water supplier that states the works has been carried out in line with the regulations. Please remember to ask your plumber for the certificate.

WIAPS is the largest of the seven UK Approved Contractors’ Schemes. WIAPS is administered by Water Regs UK on behalf of 14 of the UK Water Undertakers.

WaterSafe is the central body for approved plumbers, bringing together several accreditation schemes across the UK. You can find your nearest approved plumbing business using the postcode search on their website. Not all plumbers can be relied on to know the law and to work to the regulations, however, WaterSafe approved plumbers have specific qualifications to work safely with drinking water.

What happens if I don't apply for permission?

Arrow icon

Anyone who does not get permission before their work goes ahead risks three things:

  • Potentially putting the drinking water supply at risk of contamination
  • A criminal conviction because not complying with the regulations is a criminal offence
  • Having to re-do or alter the plumbing work if it’s not in line with the regulations. The cost of that extra work would have to be borne by the customer.

More information

Arrow icon

Advice on keeping water safe in your premises

Enforcement and Sanctions Policy

Our training and accreditation assessment for contractors

If you would like more information about water fitting or to contact a member of the team please email

Drainage and waste water

The Connect Right campaign aims to prevent misconnections and raise awareness about drainage and water pollution amongst property owners, the public and professionals.

For more information contact your local WaterSafe approved plumber.

Enable Recite