Contact us

Development Experience

0345 357 2428

Monday to Thursday 8:30am - 5:00pm
Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm.


View our frequently asked questions >

You are here : At Home > Developing > DS-Site-Developments

Site developments


Header illustration, man on phone woman digging man waving

If you are building a new block of flats/apartments, converting an existing building into flats or creating a commercial property, you are most likely going to need a new water connection to our water main and a connection to the public sewer to take the sewage away.

If the property needs a large amount of water, especially water used in industrial processing, or there are multiple properties you may need a large water connection and if you are disposing of this water into the sewer you might need special permission.


Calculate and pre-plan your application


Pre-planning your pre-development

To help us better understand the growth in our region, we encourage you to put your schemes forward for pre-planning. We will assess your needs and work undertaken for pre-development and point of connection enquiries will be completed free of charge.

  • New mains pre-development enquiries help us identify where we may need to reinforce our network ahead of your development and provide you with greater visibility of timings.
  • Self-Lay point of connection enquiries provide you with a point of connection to our network enabling you to complete required design works.
  • Diversions budget applications inform you of potential risks and hazards which may need to be addressed as part of your design for your development.

When applying with us, consider whether you would like for the new house(s) to be water efficient. If so, you could be entitled to a water efficiency discount.


I would like to...

Divert a water main

Divert a water main

Use a temporary supply

Use a temporary supply

Apply for a disconnection

Apply for a disconnection


Install an Agricultural trough

If you need a new water supply for a trough in a field for agricultural purposes you need to apply for a standard water connection. You are responsible for laying a service pipe in private land down to the nearest existing water main for us to connect to. Once you have applied we may arrange a site visit and we’ll confirm where you should lay the service pipe to. We’ll send you the connection costs for the work within the public highway. A water meter will be installed at the point of connection in an external boundary box and you’ll receive an individual bill/account for this trough supply. This follows the same process as applying for a connection to a new house. No sewer connection is required.


Do you still need to talk to us?

Get in touch

Learn more

Useful information

The latest forms, leaflets, and advice about our services

Learn more


If you need a bit of extra help, why not take a look at our FAQ's

Learn more