Register now

Hello. Sign in.

My Account

You are here : At Home > Frequently asked questions

How can we help?

Just type in your question or keyword(s) and we'll show you the most relevant answers.


I need to find my external stoptap

Before you use the external stop tap you should check first whether you can solve your problem by using your internal stop tap.

We have a video guide on finding and operating your internal stop tap Finding your inside stop tap or for your external or boundary stop tap click on this link Finding your outside stop tap

The external stop tap will normally be found in the ground under a footpath or public highway. It could be just outside your property, or on your own property in the front garden, on the drive or footpath. In some cases there will be only one stop tap serving a number of properties (a shared supply), so it may not be right outside your property. You need to have a good look around for a plastic or metal cover marked Water or 'W', and you could also try asking your neighbours. The covers are usually about the size of a DVD case (see a picture here) but, if several stop taps or meters are in the same meter pit, they can be very large. You should not try to lift very large covers without suitable equipment or expertise. If you have a meter which is fitted outside, you will usually find that your external stop tap is located right next to the meter, in the same meter pit.
Unfortunately, not all properties have a usable outside stop valve because stop taps can be covered over during work on the public highway or by householders on their own properties. We very rarely need to use individual stop taps and we have no responsibility to provide a stop tap for your use. We do not routinely inspect external stop taps to identify whether they can be operated. If you find your external stop tap is not working, a good plumber should still be able to deal with most situations without needing to operate it.

HomeServe, offers customers a cost-effective and reliable solution in the event of a plumbing, drainage or water supply pipe emergency. They also offer a HomeServe insurance policy. You can find out more here.
Enable Recite