What if I have No Water?

Please use our checklist to help identify the cause of the loss of supply


Current Alerts Icon

1. Check our Website for incidents or works in your area

View our Current Alerts >>

Check for planned works in your area >>


Kitchen tap icon 

2. Check the water from your cold kitchen tap

The water supply usually enters your home through the cold kitchen tap. If water is coming out of the kitchen tap but nowhere else in your home, this may indicate an issue with your internal plumbing. We recommend contacting an approved plumber or your landlord to help.

Check with your neighbors icon

3. Check if your neighbours have the same issue

If your neighbours have water, you may have an internal problem. We recommend contacting an approved plumber or your landlord.

If your property has its own single supply and connection to your water main, please contact us to investigate this further.


Stop taps icon

4. Check your stop taps are open

Your internal stop tap is normally under the kitchen sink, in the airing cupboard or under the floorboards by the front door. If the tap is closed, turn it anti-clockwise and ensure it is fully open.

Also, check your outside stop tap. If you share your water supply with your neighbours, check to see if they have recently used the outside stop tap.

Find out more about stop taps>>


Trapped air in pipes icon 

5. Check your pipes for trapped air

Trapped air may occur if there has been an interruption to your water supply and your pipes have been drained. This can affect water flowing through your pipes. If this is a result of work carried out at your home, contact your plumber.

We will only consider carrying out internal repairs if we have caused the interruption to your supply.


Contact us icon 

6. Check with us

If you've completed the above steps without success, it may be a problem we are not aware of. Please call us on 0345 357 2407 to let us know.




Additional information

Here are some other factors that could contribute to a loss of supply in your home.


The internal plumbing of your house

Recent plumbing work can occasionally cause an internal water pressure problem. If your mains-fed tap (usually the kitchen tap) is supplying water at normal pressure, but taps supplied by your internal water tank are not, please contact your plumber.


Shared water supplies

You may share a supply pipe with your neighbours. Check to see if the stop tap is closed (inside and outside) if there is a burst, all the properties on the supply pipe are likely to be affected. You can also check to see if any building works are going on nearby or if there is an empty property with a stop tap turned off.

For more information on pipework e.g. who is responsible, click here